BARD PAPER: SARA0031
Hornet Class UCAV
design by Jon Goff
UCAV stands for Unmanned Combat Air Vehicle
or some such. Anyhow, here is a TL12/13 one for the New Earth Republic
Aerospace forces, and for the Ides of March.
Basically, it is a RCV that is either controled from orbit,
or the ground. It is ok speedwise, has light armor, good endurance,
and lots of guns...It is meant to have its long range targetting done
for it by the mothership, then handed down. In its purely spacefighter
form, it typically removes the Plasma Gun's ammo, and replaces it with
a more tankage, adding 36 more G-turns. Also, its Plasma gun can eat
through an Intrepid's front face using the same type of ammo as the
Victrix, or Eben Emael class vessels. One more good note, this thing
is nearly impossible to detect, if it evades. Without further ado I
give you the Hornet.
Hornet Class UCAV
|Displacement: 2 tons
||Hull Armor: 20
||Volume: 28 m3
|Price: 3.899 MCr
||Target Size: Mc
|Configuration: AF Wedge
||Tech Level: 12/13
|Mass (Loaded/Unloaded): 49.1878 / 39.3488
- Power Plant: 9 MW Fusion Power Plant (9 MW/hit), 1 year duration (.9m3),
(.066 MW excess)
- Jump Performance: 0
- G-Rating: 2G HEPlaR (5 MW/G)
- G-Turns: 110, .0625 m3 each
- Maint: 5
- Computer: None
- Commo: 1x1000 AU Laser (Unlimited; 0.3 MW), 1x300 km Radio (0 hex; 1 MW)
- Avionics: Imaging EMS, 170 km/h NOE
- Sensors: 30,000/3,000km PEMS (1 hex; 0.2 MW), 3000km Ladar (0 hex; .5MW)
3km AEMS (0 hex, .5MW), 5m NAS (0 hex, .004MW)
- ECM/ECCM: EM Masking (.028 MW)
- Controls: Remote Control Vehicle
- Offensive 2xVRF Gauss guns (-4 DM), 1x76 Mj RF Plasma Gun (-4DM),
plus grapples for up to 14,000 kg of ordinance.
- Defensive: None
- Master Fire Directors: None
|Weapon || Dam || C-B || Pen || Range |
|76Mj RF Plasma Gun|| 262|| 69-25 || 262-262-131-26 || 872m|
|VRF Gauss Gun || 6 N/A || 1-3-5 || 300m|
- Life Support: None
- Grav Compensation: None
- Crew: None
- Crew Accommodations: None
- Passenger Accomadation: None
- Other Facilities: None
- Cargo: 0 m3
- Small Craft and Launch Facilities: AF Grapple for 14kl of ordnance.
- Air Locks: 0
Total Fuel Tankage: 6.875kl, 110-Gturns. No Fuel Scoops or Processing
Plant. When fully loaded with ordinance, movement slows to 1.5 G's.
To remedy this, the Plasma Gun is built to be rapidly removed (in about
4 hours), and replaced with more fuel tankage. In space combat, the
plasma gun is removed, and 2 semi-independent missles are fitted. They
greatly increase the price of the operation, but cut the RCV crew from
two to one. On the ground, the vessel usually carries a Planetary
Strike Missle (or heavy Bomb), two Napalm canisters, and a mix of heat
seakers, ARMs, and Laser Designated rounds.
®1996. Traveller is a registered trademark of FarFuture Enterprises. All rights reserved.
BARD Logo Copyright ©1996 by Lawrence C. Cox.