BARD PAPER: SARA0021
Wyvern-Class System Defense Boat
design by Lewis Roberts
The Wyvern SDB was designed to provide a formidable defender of Imperial
Naval assets. The Wyvern is designed to intercept and destroy enemy
targets long before they get near friendly assets. The boat has
6Gs of acceleration which should allow it to close with hostile targets
and to dictate where the fight takes place. It is armed with a power
battery of laser weapons. These are linked together and focus a
terrific amount of energy on a single target. To defend against
attacks, the Wyvern is equipped with a decent amount of armor, more
was desired, but the weight of the extra armor, drastically increased
the amount of thrust required of the Heplar plant and drove the cost up.
In addition to armor, the Wyvern is equipped with 5 state of the
art sandcasters, to protect against PAWS, Lasers and Missile blasts.
It also mounts 10 half ton point defense lasers, which can shoot
down incoming missiles or fighters and at short range can do as
much damage as the standard TL-15 150 MJ laser turret. It also mounts
a very large Meson screen, which should neutralize meson guns of all
but the largest ships. It also has a standard EMM system and 600 decoys
to prevent target lock ons. To further decrease the chance of
enemy ships locking on to the Wyvern, it is equipped with a 300,000km
EMS jammer and a 180,00km Area Jammer.
The Wyvern is equipped with 300,000km meson communicator, which allows
it to keep in constant contact with its base, even while lurking in a
The Wyvern doesn't carry sick bays, or shops. It is expected that the
naval installation which the Wyvern is assigned to can provide these
faciliites. The Wyvern has a small 10 ton hangar, to accomadate small
crafts carrying crew replacments, cargo and other supplies. The standard
procedure is to base the small craft out of the Naval base.
The Wyvern is a very sleek and stream-lined design. It is formed from
a central disk and two smaller disks, which are mounted to each side
of the central disk. The large 100 Ton laser bay is mounted on the
bow of the central disk. Four PD lasers are mounted on each wing disk
and two are mounted on the central disk.
Wyvern-Class System Defense Boat
|Displacement: 975 tons
||Hull Armor: 200
|Length: 44.48 meters
||Volume: 13,650 m3
|Price: 637.66 MCr
||Target Size: S
||Tech Level: 15
|Mass (Loaded/Unloaded): 13,972.1 / 13,531.3
- Power Plant: 6.67 GW Fusion Power Plant, 0.1 year duration (66.7 m3 fuel)
- Jump Performance: None
- G-Rating: 6G HEPlaR (682.5 MW/G), Auxiliary High Efficiency CG (16.25 MW)
- G-Turns: 66, 85.3 m3 fuel each
- Maint: 386
- Computer: 2xTL-15 Fibre-optic computer (1.1 MW)
- Commo: Laser (Unlimited; 0.3 MW), Maser (Unlimited; 0.6 MW), Meson (0.1 hex;3 MW), Radio (Unlimited; 20 MW)
- Avionics: Imaging EMS, IGS positioning, 190 km/h NOE
- Sensors: AEMS (16 hex; 25 MW), PEMS Folding array (7 hex; 0.25 MW), Densitometer (0.4 MW), Neutrino Sensor (0.01 MW),
- ECM/ECCM: EMS Jammer (10 hex;30 MW), Area Jammer (6 hex radius; 64.8 MW), EM Masking (13.65 MW)
- Controls: Bridge with 22 bridge workstations, 44 normal workstations
- Offensive: 100 ton Laser Bay (2169.4 MW; No crew),
w/ 11 710 MJ Grav Focused Laser Weapons, ROF=100
10x 0.5 ton 150 MJ Non-Grav PD Laser (7.08 MW; No crew) ROF=100
- Defensive: 5xSand Turret (1 MW; 1 crew)
TL-15 Meson Screen Generator (PV=400; 25 MW; 1 Crew)
- Master Fire Directors: 10xTL-15 (6 Diff Mods; 6 hex; 1.136 MW; 1 crew),
|710 Mj Laser Bay||10:1/21-67 ||20:1/21-67 || 40:1/21-67|| 80:1/20-67
|150 Mj Laser PDF Turret||6:1/10-31||12:1/5-17 ||24:1/3-9 || 48:1/1-4
- Life Support: Extended (0.38 MW), Gravitic Compensators (9.52 MW)
- Grav Compensation: 6 G.
- Crew: 75 (1xManeuver, 1xElectronics, 44xEngineer, 16xGunnery, 2xMaintenance, 1xSteward, 10xCommand)
- Crew Accommodations: 40xSmall Stateroom (0.5 kW)
- Passenger Accomadation: None
- Other Facilities: Sick Bay (0.8 MW)Emergancy Low Berth (2 kW)
- Cargo: 168 m3 (12 tons), 1 Large Hatches
- Small Craft and Launch Facilities: , 1x10-ton minimal hangar
- Air Locks: 9
Total Fuel Tankage: 5,697.3 m3 (406.9 tons).
Fuel scoops (20% of ship surface), fills tanks in 0.52 hours.
Fuel purification machinery (19.5MW), 8.77 hours to refine 5,697.3 m3.
Crew requirements are calculated by using 'Original FFS' crew model.
1.4 MW power shortfall.
®1996. Traveller is a registered trademark of FarFuture Enterprises. All rights reserved.
BARD Logo Copyright ©1996 by Lawrence C. Cox.